Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Back Door Slam

Back Door Slam



In a rock n’ roll scene largely dominated by indie-rockers, I sometimes find myself longing for more of a classic-rock/blues sound…you know, some good old fashioned CCR/Clapton infused ass-kickin’ rock n’ roll. While there are a few big bands that fill the niche (The Black Keys, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Black Crowes come to mind) it seems to me there is a small space at the forefront and then a large drop off in the popularity of this sort of music.



It was about a year ago that I first caught wind of a Blues trio out of Liverpool by the name of “Back Door Slam”. They were playing a weeknight show at the Majestic theatre in Madison. I decided to go, and was one of about 30 people in the audience that night. I witnessed one hell of a show. The band, largely fueled by Davy Knowles (lead guitar/vocals), really blew my away. Knowles is a true prodigy on the guitar and the spirit of Clapton is definitely strong in his playing. His vocals are equally as strong. I am certain that he will be a big name in rock music for years to come.

I picked up their first (and I think only) album “Roll Away” at the show and was pleasantly surprised with it as well. It is a really excellent first effort, and I think their sound translated pretty well to the studio. So if you are looking for some solid rock/blues you should certainly check it out.



As a side-note, I took a look at their touring schedule, and it looks like they are going to be touring heavily in the Wisco/Illinois area (including Summerfest and the Prairie Dog blues festival), which I know is convenient to a number of you.

Rock on.

ben.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, funny story about the night of that Majestic show. I remember getting a phone call at a time of night when most would have been sleeping and hearing a still buzzing Ben Siebers on the other end of the line.

    He proceeded to spill his guts about this amazing Blues band he had just seen. He had even taken the liberty of looking up their remaining tour schedule and then telling me that they would soon be in my area.

    Now there is no way you can just brush off a call like that so I did go to their show in Aspen with a few friends who, like Ben and I, were blown away by these young English gentlemen.

    Do yourself a favor and see these guys. You might want to wear a chin strap, however, lest your jaw get sullied by repeatedly dropping to the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: The original band from the Isle of Man recently split, and now lead guitarist/vocalist Davy Knowles is touring with a different backup band that I haven't seen or heard yet. Too bad -- I liked the quirkiness of the childhood-friends trio from an isolated island. Knowles is amazing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're on the Lolla lineup as well!

    ReplyDelete