Thursday, April 30, 2009

6 EXCELLENT INSTRUMENTALS

Think of today’s post as a sampler, a create-your-own-six-pack of instrumental music. No over-rambling today, just six solid tracks to listen to, and the bare essentials on where to find more. Let’s begin.


Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough
Perhaps the best use of ‘clicks’ and ‘beeps’ I’ve ever come across. Released a new album late January and it’s stellar.

An incredibly layered song with a solid beat. I find Four Tet to be a little all over the place, but their cd Rounds has at least three of their best tracks on it.

The last record these guys released was back in 2004, and I don’t even think they still make music. That said, their disc Easy Pieces is a great instrumental compilation, and these guys play with a whole orchestra sometimes, which is cool.

Not a lot of people liked the Beastie Boys album The Mix-Up. Hell, I wasn’t one of them. However, the disc has this one incredibly rockin instrumental, and it’s worth spinning.

YACHT is crazy. And this song is my favorite. I think there’s one actual sentence in it though, so for shame Nate, tis not a true instrumental.

Thank you Pandora. Enjoy this song, and appreciate the combo of live drums and drum kits.

Happy Thursday. Happy listening. Hope ya dig.

Til next week.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I had Reset stuck in my head this morning, and when I saw the title of your post I knew it would be featured. I knew Off the Grid would be in there as well. Great choices.

    May I also suggest "The Birth and Death of the Day" by Explosions in the Sky and "La Femme de Argent" by Air as well as anything by Ratatat and Sound Tribe Sector 9 (among many others).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had an internet jam session in my cube with my homeboy from accountz payabo this afternoon...thanks for the tunes

    ReplyDelete