Saturday, February 20, 2010

Texas Music



HOUSTON, TX --

This past Presidents Day, I was excited to have the day off and make the trek down to the DMV. Sounds odd I know, but this was a big day for me. I finally was going to have a chance to pay my $95 'New Resident' fee and officially become a Texan! I figured that all of the city workers would be waiting for me at the Dallas Department of Public Records with my obligatory 'New Resident' set of shiny spurs. I figured that they would have a new Cowboy hat with a new Texas nickname embroidered on it ... something like Big Stevie Red or Steve Bob. Enchiladas stuffed with brisket would be served by the oversized plate with my meat straight from a freshly killed cow that had been raised on a ranch somewhere just outside of Mesquite or Frisco .... This was going to be a big day for me!

Well it didn't quite turn out to be the spectacle that I had envisioned. After my 2 hour long wait (the suspense was building) I finally had my chance to talk with the plump lady behind the plexiglass barrier in the basement of the facility. She kindly accepted my sum with no fanfare, so I asked about what I had in store for me now that I was officially a Texan. According to her, 'nothing much, now you just have to pay our taxes' was all I could get out of her. Pretty disappointing considering my expectations, but at least the good news is that now I can officially be called Head of TSAD - Texas Division ... in charge of all things Texas Country, Honky Tonk, Mexican Carnival Music, Dallas Hood Rap, and all other forms of auditory enjoyment that we receive in these parts. Normally I post on Mondays when I get around to it, but I decided to post today on Saturday because now that I'm a Texan I just don't give a shit about a whole lot .... and if you dont like that, then you can kiss my dusty white ass

On the the content, I enjoy my forays into Houston for one reason and one reason only: 105.3 Texas Mix. (listen live: http://www.texasmix1053.com/) Texas Country is its own genre and it differs greatly from the Nashville or Pop country sound that is more common nationally.

Of course, Willie Nelson is a Texas National hero. He is playing here at the World's Largest Honky Tonk, called Billy Bobs in Fort Worth. A pilgrimage is in the works.


Besides Willie, there are several smaller artists that have notoriety throughout Texas only. My favorite find so far is a Brian Burns, who I've heard on Texas Mix a few times. He's not on YouTube with this track, so follow this link to catch an excerpt of my favorite song thus far:

Rattelsnake Tequila

Its quite a ballad, but I have no way to deliver the entire track through the blog, so I highly suggest you download the entire track through iTunes. Its 99 cents, which is like not even a whole taco, or like a micro-drop of oil

His general website is here for your perusal: http://www.brianburnsmusic.com/aj_song_04.htm
Interestingly enough, the song and the content on the website pertains to making rattlesnake tequila. I know nothing about Rattlesnake Tequila, but it does have a strange appeal to me as the effects of just 'regular' tequila were starting to become a bit of a bore.

Anyhow, I'll keep y'all posted on any good new finds. When I really want to torture everyone I'll post about the type of shit you hear on every other radio station is Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment