Saturday, February 13, 2010

Date Conversation

DALLAS, TX --

Somewhere amidst my stumbling through a date last evening, the topic of musical tastes came up. Stating that you 'like everything' seems like an overly standard response to the question, so I thought I would narrow it down to about four genres that I am digging right now. Genre preferences are subject to change frequently, but this is what I'm rocking for the present moment. Fortunately, shes a cool chick and didn't decide to cancel the rest of the evening based upon my unique and abnormal musical preferences.

Here's the list:
- Brazilian - includes bossa nova, samba
- Club / House
- Dance Hip Hop
- Bluegrass


Here's why:

Brazilian - The ultimate relaxation tracks. Brazilian music seems to embody the culture, at least as much as I understand it. Flowing grooves, beautiful vocals, a variety of instruments, and distinct rythyms make it stand out as an outstanding member of the latin music realm.



Club / House - People incorrectly generalize that all Club music is 'techno,' which is an incorrect assumption to make. I think when people want to avoid the uncoolness of 'techno,' they overlook a much more diverse genre that includes a variety of different sub-genres. House, Electro House, Ibiza, Club, Trance, Big-beat, etc. all offer a different take. Plus, like eating a hot dog at the ballpark, it all depends on the environment. Don't go to a douched out club, find someone decent to dance with, spend a long period of time on floor and tell me you didn't have fun.





Dance Hip Hop - Love to hit the dance floor!




Bluegrass - It takes me back to earlier glory days carousing around the Blue Ridge Mountains, fishing and kayaking, and basically causing trouble. Bluegrass fits the region perfectly, and the region is one of my favorites. I generally stick with the old favorites, but the track below is actually from a newer group.

No comments:

Post a Comment