Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Airborne Toxic Event



Their Website

More stuff

After a one week hiatus I am back! And my seven year old computer is once again firing on all cylinders. I hadn’t heard of this weeks band, The Airborne Toxic Event, until a few weeks ago when, remarkably enough, I heard their song “Sometime After Midnight” on local radio (105.5mmm Madison’s only good radio station). It has been quite sometime since I have found something new to listen to via radio, it seems like every new discovery comes from the internet these days…

The Airborne Toxic Event has seemingly exploded in popularity. They started playing together only three years ago in Los Angeles, and are now touring internationally. The band is made up of singer and guitarist Mikel Jollett, guitarist and keyboardist Steven Chen, drummer Daren Taylor, and keyboardist, violist Anna Bulbrook, and bassist Noah Harmon. The band was founded by Jollett (who is also a writer) in 2006 when a series of traumatic events in his personal life led him to writing songs instead of prose. Jollett’s writing abilities carry over into song very well and strong lyrics are just another thing that this band has going for them.

The Airborne Toxic Event has a wide range of musical influences, and this is very evident in there music. Up to now their releases have gotten mixed reviews. I am by no means familiar with everything in their catalogue. But I do know that when I heard their single “Sometime Around Midnight” for the first time I was very impressed, and have enjoyed the other stuff that I have come across.

**and they will be at Summerfest next weekend!

Enjoy, Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment