Sunday, March 29, 2009

Songs for the Unemployed

Before I get started, I'd like to congratulate myself and my teammates on winning the Stamford Twin Rinks Men's League Tier 3 Hockey Championship. I am now in possession of an extremely dope commemorative baseball cap.

I'll begin by saying that my father has never really liked Atmosphere. He prefers the lighthearted antics of Nelly or Ludacris. For him, hip-hop has always been more about kids clowning around than anything else. He's not really interested in any of Slug's introspection. He's also not interested in hearing complaints of any kind from famous musicians not named Otis Redding or Bob Dylan.

For these reasons, I was surprised when he expressed his appreciation for a couple of Atmosphere tunes on a recent road trip. Perhaps he's broadening his horizons. Perhaps the horizons of hip-hop have broadened to meet him halfway. All I know is that like millions of Americans, he's concerned that everything is going to shit. He can also appreciate music that speaks to his concerns without sounding whiny or placing blame.

In this vein, here are some songs for when your ass gets laid off. They'll also work if you enjoy chill music and don't mind being reminded that there's always folks out there strugglin'. Now more than ever.



Quote of the Week: "Living in turbulent times, the blind leading the blind, some say it's evolution, some say intelligent design" -Roots

4 comments:

  1. Just for the record, 'now more than ever' is number 1 on my most-hated phrase list...well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger Gabe Calhoun said...

    In that case, the fact of the matter is that "Now, more than ever" needs to be the tag line under my "pic" at right, going forward.

    Let me be absolutely clear, you literally have a most-hated phrase list? I guess the takeaway here is that, basically, at the end of the day, it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. clear as day my friend...i also have a most-loved phrase list full of gems like 'hunky dory' and 'bonerriffic'...

    ReplyDelete