Sunday, March 22, 2009

Great Soundtracks

Our issue this Sunday: What are your favorite movie soundtracks? I'll list my top 5 because I am into "the whole brevity thing". In all honesty, it's no coincidence that these happen to be 5 of my favorite movies. The soundtrack can make or break a film. But ya'll know that...My top pick is The Godfather OST. Probably the most memorable original score of all time. It easily edged out the Kornfeldian brilliance of Office Space. (I've always really, really wanted to use the word Kornfeldian. Maybe I can own that on urbandictionary.com)

1. The Godfather - Nino Rota & Carmine Coppola
2. Office Space - Various Artists
3. The Big Lebowski - Various Artists
4. Pulp Fiction - Various Artists
5. The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

On that note, our musical selection comes from the Matresses Montage in The Godfather. This happens to be an original score by Carmine Coppola, not available on the original Godfather soundtrack. Titled "This Loneliness", this song is my favorite tune for the piano. I'm no aficionado of musical styles, but I love the old time feel. It is at once grandiose and sad. Even murderous mobsters could make beautiful music back in the day.


If you like that, you can listen again while watching this amusing combination of my favorite soundtrack, one of my favorite movies, and my absolute-all-time favorite toy.

8 comments:

  1. damn it feels good to be a gangsta ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, the Biker Boyz soundtrack was off the chizzain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blow and Boogie Nights are the best soundtracks for classic rock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Id also have to throw in "Dazed and Confused" for best classic rock soundtrack...Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, KISS, Alice Cooper, and the Nuge...tough to go wrong there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd also have to give honorable mention to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Oh Brother Where Art thou, my parents have an annoying habit of singing the songs though...wierd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "In the big rock candy mountain, the jails are made of tin. And you can walk right out of them just as soon as you are in" can't get much better lyrics than that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gotta throw "Snatch" and "Trainspotting" into the ring as well as Wes Anderson's "The Royal Tennenbaums" and "Rushmore".

    If you're looking for more like Office Space check out the movie Boiler Room. Another seemingly inappropriate hip-hop soundtrack that somehow works (De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Pharoahe Monch, etc.)

    Ooh, and Air's OST for The Virgin Suicides is great as well.

    ReplyDelete