Friday, January 15, 2010

New Music Friday - Spoon and Vampire Weekend


Spoon - Transference
The new Spoon album doesn't come out til next Tuesday, but thanks to NPR you can stream the whole thing right here:

To listen to each track individually and get more Spoon related info click here.

The guys in Spoon are just cool, and this album is classic Spoon. Frontman Britt Daniel brings his trademark voice and lyricism to the table, and the rest of the band fills in the blanks with solid arrangements. I'd consider this a back-loaded album; later tracks Got Nuffin' and Nobody Gets Me But You really stand out to me. Nothing drastic, just great rock and roll. 'Cause that's what Spoon does.

Vampire Weekend - Contra
It seems weird that a Vampire Weekend album would come out in January. Listening to this band makes me feel like I'm driving on Cape Cod in July. And I've never even been to Cape Cod. Preppy goodness. I'm not a massive fan of this band, but they certainly have their time and place, and this album is just as solid as their first, maybe better. Check it out. (I'm putting the track Horchata on here just for you, Prochnow)

Horchata
Diplomat's Son

Also out this week: Heartland by Final Fantasy. Owen Pallet, the brains behind Final Fantasy, might as well be Andrew Bird's little brother. And I mean that in a good way.

Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment