Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

Guitar Heroics Anyone?
Dinosaur Jr. are old school. The band released their first album in 1985, foreshadowing the grunge phenomenon, and their most successful and critically acclaimed albums were released between 1987 and 1991. But to be honest I had never listened to them until this album came out. They took a ten year break before releasing Beyond in 2007 and Farm this year. Thank God they came back.

To put it simply, this album features the best guitar work I've heard all year. If you're looking for some face melting solos to brighten your day and get your head nodding, look no further. The songs aren't bad either. Actually, they're quite good. Definitely grungy and heavy, with lyrics that support that style. And they're on tour. Apparently they already played the Vic here in Chicago, and I was sad to hear it. But hey, now I know. And my music library is the better for it. Check out the tracks below, and if you like what you hear, pick up their disc. It's worth the purchase just to hear I Don't Want to Go There.

Dinosaur Jr. - I Want You to Know
Dinosaur Jr. - Ocean in the Way
Dinosaur Jr. - Said the People

Dinosaur Jr. on Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Stew -

    really enjoyed these tracks. I needed a little face melting guitar on this cold, rainy day. Funny that you should name your post "guitar heroics"...these guys have a track on "Rock Band"...

    ReplyDelete