Monday, August 10, 2009

wilco (the album)

WILCO’S WEBSITE

Play as you read…..



Released just over a month ago, Wilco (The Album) is the seventh studio album from what is right now one of my favorite bands out there. According to Jeff Tweedy (lead singer) Wilco gave themselves more leeway in terms of sculpting the sound in the studio and utilizing overdubs. From a guy who has listened to everything that Wilco has offered I must say that the album couldn’t have been named better. It truly captures the essence of a great American rock and roll band and successfully pulls off something that I think is very difficult for an album to do. It offers a taste of the many different faces of the band, while at the same time remaining a very cohesive work. I have only listened to it twice now, but it really didn’t take any sort of sink-in period; it rocked from the get go.

The first track, Wilco (the song), is a solid offering (again deserving its name) and a very strong kick-off; Track two, Deeper Down, reminds me of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot work; Bull Black Nova (track four) is a really kickin’ song and I would imagine that they will really rock this one in concert. You and I, track five, is the first duet to be featured on a Wilco album, Tweedy teams of with Feist for a really nice track. The closing song “Everlasting Everything” is fantastic, and a classic album closer. Everything else on the album is just Rock. Solid. Wilco.






I’d say that this cd is a must own for any Wilco fan, but I’d also contend that although it is their seventh album, it would be a perfect first Wilco CD for someone to try.

Rock and Roll.

Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment