Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yppah

An actual post about driving music.

So I have this theory, and those of you who drive/commute a lot, please weigh in. I think that driving music (as in, music you listen to whilst driving) can be classified the same way miles per gallon (MPGs) are: highway and city.

And while it has always irked me that cars have these two separate MPG classifications (although I understand why), to classify driving music in such a way seems much more appropriate.

These days I don’t drive much, but I’ve made the two-hour-and-some-change drive between here and Madison, WI more than a few times, and along the way I’ve done my fair share of jamming. That said, the following is among my favorites for I90:

Yppah
You Are Beautiful At All Times

Yppah a.k.a. Joe Corrales’ debut album is up there in my opinion as one of the best blends of electronica and rock (methinks the rock-leaning Ratatat is the absolute best). The disc is a shade over an hour, and man is it awesome. Starting with a great track to get things going ‘Ending With You,’ the album is one talented and catchy melody after another until you reach the finale ‘Longtime.’ This disc was made for the highway – a lot of heavy bass, excellent drums, and those melodies I mentioned – perfect for passing someone on the shoulder – I suggest you put it to the test.

Thanks to lala, here’s the entire album. Be sure to listen to ‘Ending With You’ and ‘Again With Subtitles.'


A second, much-anticipated release from Yppah (which is ‘happy’ spelled backwards) is scheduled for mid-May.

Bonus(?):
A commercial for a shitty videogame, featuring the music of Yppah...


If you like what you hear, definitely pick up the disc. And if you like the kind of music I’ve been posting about, download Simplify Media and listen to my entire iTunes library (screen name: striznate).

That’s all ‘til next week, what are your favorite jams for the highway/city?

5 comments:

  1. also, just a note to my fellow bloggers...I was able to use the words 'whilst' and 'methinks' in this post...

    your move

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second note to fellow bloggers: from now on, no one who does not own a car is allowed to write posts referring to "driving music." Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew, i dont own a boat either...but I might have to write about Yacht Rock...ya bastard

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm on a boat! I'm on a boat! Take a good, hard look at the motherfuckin boat!"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

    Please write about this as well.

    I like to listen to live shows by The New Deal when I drive. This one in particular. http://www.archive.org/details/tnd2003-02-21.c3000.shnf

    Tracks 3 (VL Tone) and 13 (Gone, Gone, Gone) are my highlights.

    These guys were ahead of their time. If they wore trendy clothes and used annoying voice samples they could have been MSTRKRFT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nate you need to give me this music

    ReplyDelete