Thursday, April 9, 2009

Talkdemonic

Iron & Wine if Sam Beam played the drums instead of the guitar?

Ok, no, not really. But let me introduce Talkdemonic, a self-described folktronic (I’m sorry, what??) duo from Portland, OR. The band consists of two members Kevin O’Connor (percussion, synthesizer, piano) and Lisa Molinaro (viola, synthesizer).

Talkdemonic hits my sweet spot perfectly – I’m a sucker for the strings and I love me a good beat. Like so…



Around since 2002, Talkdemonic has three albums under their belt. Mutiny Sunshine in 2004, Beat Romantic in 2006, and Eyes at Half Mast in 2008. And over the years their style hasn’t changed much, they’ve just gotten a helluva lot sharper.

That said, it was their sophomore release, Beat Romantic that first caught my ear. They, like so many others, were a Pandora find for me. Their songs tend to be shorter and interesting combinations of subdued synth melodies, EXTREMELY talented drums*, and beautiful string accompaniments. For example:





Literally I can’t get enough of these guys, and I urge you to check them out further. Be it here, here, or here.

Thanks for reading, hope you dig Talkdemonic.

And if you like the kind of music I’ve been posting about, download Simplify Media so you can listen to my entire iTunes library (screen name: striznate).

Let’s talk next week.


*yessssss…

4 comments:

  1. So these guys pretty much kick ass. I saw them open for The National (another really awesome band) about 4 or 5 years ago and have been in love with them ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lied...it was 3 years ago....sue me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. get ur shit straight cole...these guys are professional rock-ur-socks-off-ers

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was cool - they came on stage later and played with the national for Mr. November.

    ReplyDelete