Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Avett Brothers

A short while ago the Avett Brothers’ music came to my attention. It was love at first listen for me, and perhaps the only reason that it has taken me so long to post on them is that I have too busy listening. Those of you who know me and my musical tastes will take one listen to these guys and know that their tunes are right in my wheelhouse. Their unbridled talent and raw energy have really blown me away.

*Be sure to watch at least the first track on this video; I know its a long one. Its worth your while though; you're just going to have to trust me....



The band was formed in 2000 by brothers Seth and Scott Avett. The Avett Brothers started as a side project. At the time, Seth and Scott’s main project was a rock n’ roll band called “Nemo”. But it didn’t take long before this side project turned into the main attraction. After an extensive initial tour with a positive response, the Avett Brothers’s project was solidified. Today the Avett Brothers include Seth and Scott who play guitar and banjo, bassist Bob Crawford and Cellist Joe Kwon.

Since 2000, the Avett brothers have released a lot of music, turning out over one album release (including live albums) per year. Their bluegrass/Americana music incorporates many different elements and influences. Country, punk, folk, rock, and ragtime tones are very apparent in their offerings. They released an album last week, “I and Love and You”, I haven’t heard all of it yet, but what I have heard has been excellent.

For those of you in the Madison area, they are playing the Barrymore Theatre on 10/21. I heard that all of the cool kids are going to be there.

Enjoy,

Ben





No comments:

Post a Comment