Sunday, August 30, 2009

Donuts on a Sunday Morning


My dreams have been oddly vivid of late. First, I imagined that I had lived for a thousand years; nine-hundred and seventy-five of which were spent spiraling into madness by way of a circular logic bug in my technologically enhanced brain. Apres ca, I imagined myself in Occupied France (mon Francais was flawless in this one) meeting all manner of gorgeous women, and killin' Nazis. I killed so many Nazis that I began to feel bad. Good Lord, you're thinking, what does this random bullshit have to do with music? Well sit back, young soldier, and let me count the ways.


1. When you're having oddly vivid dreams, it might just mean that you need to chill out and get some soul in your life. That's what brings me to the blog this morning. I'm reading posts and furiously downloading dope new tunes to get my head right. I've also been listening to Donuts by J Dilla. Let's just say it's working out tremendously. Donuts is a grand album of production. It's progeny can be found on recent albums by Common, Wu-Tang, DOOM, The Roots, and probably countless others that I haven't discovered yet. Short tracks begin organically, build up, loop, switch tempo, and end abruptly when the thought is completed. It's a delicious and deeply satisfying variety of musical tapas.


2. Killing Nazis is an emotionally draining exercise. You will need a soundtrack. For this, I recommend any of these selections:

Mos Def - The Ecstatic - I'll be attending the NY show on Governors Island in mid September.

Nas & DJ Green Lantern - The Nigger Tape - Nas recalls Elizabeth Taylor telling him "...You the Fifth Nigga in the Beatles, You the 10th Nigga in the Wu-Tang". Priceless.

Jel - 10 Seconds - More cool instrumentals. Skills on display below


1 comment:

  1. Can we get a review of the Mighty Mos show after you check him out? His set at Rock the Bells in Chicago last summer was very mediocre, I hope he brings the heat when you see him.

    ReplyDelete